Thursday, October 17, 2013

WEEK EIGHT: The Archive: Home Movies &16mm 3 image edits!


Truthfully we hardly had a chance to watch many home movies since we were so busy going over our midterm tests on William Wees' Recycled Images: The Art &Politics of Found Footage Films (1993),
and watching the second projects making analogue 16mm 3-image edits from found footage.

Everyone was busy busy busy at the Steenbecks for the last couple of weeks choosing shots and making precision cuts in bursts of three, in homage to 


Sadly I didn't capture all of them, because they were all pretty amazing! For example I missed Zac's hilarious gas- station- drug- deal -movie that winds up in a handpainted frenzy, I must've been too astonished to remember to push the button on my camera, sorry ...

--Here we have Asa's concise curt commentary on the creative process:


--Here is Eric's enigmatic edit. without sound: 


--and then with sound: THE MEATCUTTERS CAME!

We didn't quite get to the Abigail Child films either, but we will start with her 2004 film The Future is Behind You next week, as a particularly interesting companion to the amateur 1940's (?) hunter home movie we watched this week. Don't forget to read your Patricia Zimmerman Reel Families chapter to prepare. 

OK so the reading for next week is Stephanie Barber's conceptual book Night Moves (Publishing Genius, 2012) which includes this book club study guide to assist you. 


Lastly, don't forget  Saturday is HOME MOVIE DAY and we will be celebrating at The Boulder Public Library from 1-4 pm. Bring your home movies to screen (8mm, S-8 and 16mm only), play Home Movie Day Bingo, meet your neighbors and see what kind of movies they've unearthed!













2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In reference to the Night Moves page...

"A few days ago I was speaking to a friend about this project and we were talking about a sort of pre-nostalgia that is implicit in the creation and reception of the original song. I mean, Bob Seger was not very old when he wrote it. Autumn was not quite “closing in,” was it? "

&nbsp: &nbsp:  I found this quote shocking and realistic...perhaps sobering? Based on this and what my friend has said in the past, I'm a little scared to create art under my real name.
I'm a white kid who grew up in Boulder, what do I know about the world?

With an alias, no one knows exactly how old I am, and maybe I can sing about "Autumn closing in". The anonymity allows the artist space to build credibility.


&nbsp: &nbsp:  What are the cons of a pseudonym? What are the levels of anonymity? What's the difference between a pen-name and Daft Punk's helmets?

jeanli said...

dude. sorry but on the internet everyone knows you're a dog.